Skip to main content

Article 15 trailer: does the anti-casteist argument work?

I recently saw the trailer of upcoming Anubhav Sinha film, Article 15. It seems like a film exposing caste realities prevalent in our society- not that our society can be termed as one, rather a bunch of overlapping mixes of cultures- through the eyes of a somewhat outsider policeman played by Ayushmann Khurrana.

It got me thinking.

Does this narrative work. Of course Anubhav Sinha’s previous similar attempt to showcase society’s(bunch of overlapping mixes of cultures) communal underbelly did work for him and his film Mulk did make money, as i am told. But does that movie and this new one really put forward a convincing argument for the anti-communal or anti-casteist ideologies? I think, not.

Both the films by Anubhav Sinha, Mulk and Article 15 (judgement on Article 15 is based on the trailer only, so could become off the point once the movie releases) appeal to the pity of those who benefit from the communal and casteist differences. The movies talk of how difficult the life is for people who suffer due to communalism and casteism. And the advantaged are guilty if they don’t wish to change.

But does this argument work? Does appealing to the sensitive side of the exploiter really inspire a change of heart?

Let me take a moment to announce that I am not communal, I don’t believe in caste system, and I even accept myself as a feminist in making. I might act on religious lines sometimes unintentionally, but I am willing to be called out, debate my side/accept mistake, and mend my ways. Basically, I am human.

This piece that I write here, hence, is not to target the ideologies of equality, secularism or feminism, but to point out the futility of arguments made on behalf of these ideologies through story-telling.

Having cleared the air and relieved some of the readers(if any) who would jump to kill anyone who disagrees with them, I can move on to make my point.

I really wish for a society with no communal or casteist sentiments. But I don’t believe appealing to pity is the way to go about it. No one is going to give up eating pizza when he finds about the innumerable malnourished children of the world, or give up the air-conditioner after learning about the erratic power supply in a lot of Indian villages.

I am a man and patriarchy favours me, but learning about a lot of people(women; yes they are simply people) suffering because of my privilege isn’t going to make me give up my privileges. It just isn’t a good enough argument.

You have to give me an argument that affects me directly. Like I choose feminism not because I pity women, but I see myself suffering because of sexism. Patriarchy is putting me on the spot unnecessarily, time and again. Sexism puts a lot of pressure on men to constantly be in a bullying mode, always be in character, look for signs of revolt and quickly crush them. I don’t see that as an advantage. In fact, it shuts me off to half the people(women) I meet in my life, and I don’t want that. It takes up too much energy and not enough advantage in the modern world. I choose to apply those energies someplace else. So feminism is a pragmatic choice where I have as much at stake as any woman.

This is absent in the narrative of anti-caste and anti-communal moral stories. They are all moral stories, really, not intended to change one’s mind but to serve as an emotional argument when you are in the middle of a debate. They don’t talk about how being sexist or communal is not an option anymore and maybe the exploiters being part of the social structure could actually benefit from a change.

My guess is the story-tellers are not even bothered to put out an argument for the ideologies they use in their tales and in fact, are happy making money by appealing to those who already agree with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Celebration For The Festival Of Democracy

The election fever is soaring in the country with no one but politicians and media people going crazy over the supposed festival of democracy. Though they always find a reason to bellow through microphones, the season of election gives them a particularly bizarre energy. The powerful become vulnerable and the forbidden questions resurface. For the past one month I am being bombarded with advertisements and promises of Utopian worlds and fears of broken ones. I get calls from Arvind Kejriwal himself telling me what my problems are; Narendra Modi hopefully looks at me with innocent eyes from every web-page that I open. Suddenly everyone is a well-wisher. As an example, someone allegedly(they told me) from Aam Aadmi Party called me to inform me about my name being struck off the electoral roll. Though I was skeptic from the beginning, I played along and asked what I should do. The person at the other end told me not to worry in a completely mechanical tone, as if he had said the s

Citizenship Amendment Act: From the eyes of an atheist

Imagine a world where you get to enter Cafe Coffee Day only if you are a fan of Marvel comics. If you were into the Disney movies, you are welcome, even fondness for Japanese anime and K-Pop would do, but follow DC comics and you are not welcome. That is something on the lines of the recent Citizenship Amendment Act the Indian government just passed in both the houses of the Indian parliament. What it says, what it means... The Act says that certain refugees on the Indian soil belonging to certain beliefs and hailing from specific locations are welcome as citizens in the Indian republic but others are not. The Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Christians, Jains, and Parsis specifically from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh are welcome in India but not the same communities from Sri Lanka, Myanmar or China, and Muslims from absolutely nowhere. It is the first time when the Indian Parliamentarians openly told the world that you must believe in certain stories before you dream

WELCOME!!!

Welcome to RajeshRecitals.blogspot.com ! This website is authored and maintained by renowned writer and film & book reviewer Rajesh Kant. Clearly, the man is a little full of himself as he is the one who wrote this description as well.  But you don't have to trust have him at all . Judge for yourself and choose to read some short stories and some shorter than short stories. Besides, the website has some insightful takes on popular movies and books from India and around the world. Also, if you like, feel free to taste some spicy opinion pieces by Mr. Snob Know-it-all from New Delhi on life and times in the city and around. Try not to believe everything you read. Wise people think for themselves. Happy Reading!!!